(Updated June 2020)
Ohio South is thrilled to announce our new partnership with Player's Health, a company devoted to player and organizational safety. Working with the Player's Health team will ensure that every soccer program involved in Ohio South is operating as safely as possible.
The addition of Player's Health will be helping our clubs in five areas of Risk Management:
- Reporting Structure & Process
- Abuse Awareness & Prevention Training
- Background Screening
- Digital Abuse Reporting & Documentation Platform
- Emergency Action Plans
Their abuse aware & prevention training will ensure our coaches are best in class and can focus on coaching, while their digital reporting tool will give our players and coaches a safe and secure platform to report abuse incidents if any should occur. If there is an incident in your organization - rest assured it will be handled -and this tool will create an open channel for you, the coaches and the players.
It is our honor to introduce these safety upgrades to our soccer organization, and we are thrilled to call Ohio South leagues the new standard in sports health and safety.
Our focus is to improve the safety of the playing environment for all youth soccer players in Ohio South. As of June 2020, Ohio South will move background check providers to JDP. By making this switch, Ohio South will sharpen the screening process for coaches, admins, board members, etc.; and thereby strive to create a safer playing environment for children. JDP uses the platform provided by Players Health to capture the requisite information to run the check.
Background checks are required for the following adults, Competitive or Recreational;
- Coaches and Soccer Trainers
- Board Members of Leagues and Clubs
- Club Administrators, Team Administrators and Team Managers
- Tournament Organizers
- Athletic Trainers
- Organizational Employees who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to minors
There are various avenues in which a coach or other adult may complete their risk requirements in Player's Health. Please be sure you are familiar with the risk requirements of your role before proceeding, as the requirements for a coach are different from the requirements of a board member:
- Coaches, trainers, board members, admins/managers and/or other organizational employees may be added manually by the club admin/registrar. When this is done, they will receive an email from Demosphere with a link to Players Health, where they will go to complete ALL risk requirements necessary.
- Coaches, trainers, board members, admins/managers and/or other organizational employees register themselves via an open registration as provided by the league or club they are coaching with. When this is done, they will receive an email from Demosphere with a link to Players Health within a few days, where they will go to complete ALL risk requirements necessary.
- All recreational coaches, board members and/or other identified adults should reference the information in the rec-specific section of this webpage below.
Background checks are good for two years and typically take up to 5 business days to complete. Length of time does not imply issues with your background check. In addition, there is no longer a printable certificate when you have submitted for a background check.
Background checks from other providers or employers are not valid for risk clearance in Ohio South. You must submit a background check through the Ohio South provider (JDP via Players Health).
As of July 9, 2019, Ohio South will no longer absorb the cost of the check for a competitively affiliated adult (coach, board member, admin, etc.). The cost of the check will be $18, payable at time of registration.
As of July 9, 2019, Ohio South will continue to absorb the cost of the check for recreational affiliated adults (coaches, board members, admins, etc.).
RISK WALKTHROUGH GUIDE FOR COACHES/OTHER IDENTIFIED ADULTS | Background Check FAQ's
Member Recreational League coaches & Personnel
All member recreational leagues are required to use the Demosphere // Player's Health system for coach, admin, board member and other identified adult registration in order to allow Ohio South to run a background check. Once registered, your league Risk Management Coordinator should verify all coaches have successfully completed the risk requirements and maintain all records. This can be done by logging into the State side of Demosphere.
Recreational leagues will be responsible for adding their coaches and other identified adults in Demosphere, using the instructions below. Once added, your coaches and other identified adults will be emailed a link to begin their risk certification, including a background check.
Recreational coaches and other identified adults will need to use a code in Player's Health to negate the cost of their background check. This code will be provided to each league registrar for distribution and closely monitored.
A walkthrough guide for your coaches and other adults on how to complete risk can be found below.
RISK WALKTHROUGH GUIDE FOR COACHES/OTHER IDENTIFIED ADULTS
RECREATIONAL LEAGUE UPLOAD GUIDE (coming soon)
For additional Risk Management or Background Check information and questions, please contact Steve Wood at the OSYSA office or reference the Player's Health / JDP contacts provided in the Background Check section of this page;
Camp Coaches, Medical Athletic Trainers & Coaching License Instructors
Camp Coaches, Medical Athletic Trainers and Coaching License Instructors will run background checks through the link below. This is not a player or coach registration tied to a specific league or club.
Click here for Ohio South Risk Management Check (coming soon).