Recent abuse scandals have changed the landscape of youth sports nationwide forever. The details of these cases, and others since, have shocked us all. Federal and State laws are now in place that all of us have to follow. Accordingly, the Ohio South Board of Directors has chosen to upgrade many of its operating systems and Risk Management processes to meet and comply with these regulations and laws. In addition, the OSYSA Risk Management policy has also been updated to reflect these changes.
It is something we do willingly as a service to our members and for the safety of all of the children involved in our organization.
The Four Pillars of Risk
Our focus is to improve the safety of the playing environment for all youth soccer players in Ohio South.
The following four Risk Management requirements, called SafeSoccer by Ohio South, are required by Federal law, State law and/or Ohio South for all member rec and competitive leagues, competitive clubs, and all designated cited adults below involved in Ohio South Youth Soccer. As we head into the 2020 – 2021 season, it is critical that all leagues and clubs are aware of their obligations.
1. Lindsay's Law
All players and cited adults below as required to register will also be required to sign off on Lindsay's Law. This is done during registration in Demosphere. Member leagues and clubs will no longer have to collect the physical paperwork for this.
2. Ohio Concussion Law: Return to Play
All players and cited adults below as required to register will also be required to sign off on Ohio Concussion Law. This is done during registration in Demosphere. Member leagues and clubs will no longer have to collect the physical paperwork for this.
3. SafeSport Online Training
This will be completed in the Players Health system. More information coming soon!
All adults cited below as required to register will also be required to complete SafeSport Training and Education.
4. Background Checks
All adults cited as required to register in item (1) will also be required to complete a background check. Ohio South uses JDP to run background checks, and necessary adults will submit their check to JDP through Players Health. This is another of our system wide upgrades and investments.
- For those adults that have not yet had a background check, the background screening results will automatically be uploaded into your Players Health and Demosphere profiles once completed by JDP.
- For those adults that have completed a valid background check that will not expire until after the 2021 -2022 season, the platform will carry over your status.
- The cost of the check for competitive coaches is $18.00 and will be paid by the end user. Ohio South has elected to bear the cost of all recreational coaches until further notice. Clubs and leagues will have the option to have the individuals pay for the check themselves (common in a lot of other State associations and other sporting entities), reimburse the individuals or clubs can set up an 'account' with Player's Health and get billed per check by a coach or adult in their organization.
- Based on 2 coaches and 1 admin per team, this works out to approximately $3.00 per player to make them safer. We would hope that most parents would not take issue with OSYSA trying to make the environment safer for their child.
- Further instructions on background checks, how to pay, etc. will be sent out in the next few weeks.
- The simplest way to finance this program is to engage your club in the KickCash member benefit that was launched earlier this year. To date, most competitive clubs are vastly underutilizing this cash back benefit. Our latest research shows that clubs are leaving TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on the table.
- Engagement in the program will see your club not only pay for all background checks – but still have the ability to make significant capital for your club.
- OSYSA strongly encourages all competitive clubs to Contact Michael Dokmanovich for an in-person presentation, webinar or more information; email@example.com
Players health Risk Management Platform
The following adults will now be required to register in the Players Health platform starting in the 2020 – 2021 season;
- Coaches and Soccer Trainers
- Board Members of Leagues and Clubs
- Club Administrators, Team Administrators and Team Managers,
- Tournament Organizers
- Athletic Trainers
- Organizational Employees who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to minors
- Players Health will hold an API to move information from their platform into Demosphere, which will be the central hub to ensure Risk Management compliance with Federal and State laws.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Joe Gould (firstname.lastname@example.org), Bill Glaze or Gordon Henderson at the office: 513-576-9555.