From the Desk of Gordon Henderson
Ohio South Youth Soccer
April 1, 2020
RE: US Youth Soccer Nationals and Regionals – NCS and Presidents Cup
Updates from USYS
- USYS has pushed back its potential ‘Return to Play’ date for all activities (including Regional League games) to May 1st, 2020. This is in alignment with U.S. Soccer and all other major soccer youth groups. Again – please note – this date is NOT a definitive Return to Play date. Factors on the ground in local state associations and State Departments of Health, will continue to drive the local outcome. As USYS has done since the start of the outbreak, future decisions will be evaluated every two weeks. Accordingly, the ‘Return to Play’ date of May 1 will be re-evaluated on April 15th.
- Accordingly, Ohio South will follow suit and suspend all events and activities through April 30th, 2020. This keeps everyone in alignment with the State of Ohio, U.S. Soccer and USYS.
- USYS has also made the made the very difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Presidents Cup, 2020 National Championships and all Regional Championships. This decision was based on four core priorities;
- Financial Impact on Families
- Stress on Families
- Integrity of USYS Competitions
- Focus on Local USYS Leagues and Communities
The full announcement can be viewed here.
Question – What does this mean for Ohio South State Cup, Presidents Cup and Governors Cup?
Decisions on the Ohio South Cup Series events for 2020 will be made by the end of this week after consultation with Ohio South Cup Chairs, Board of Directors and Staff.
Question – Does this mean the season is cancelled for all Ohio South leagues and tournaments?
No……we are obviously still in a very fluid situation, but current dates established in previous memo’s as well as new information this week, remain as stated below;
- The White House amended it’s Corona Virus Guidelines for America to extend through April 30, 2020.
- State of Ohio school closure Public Order was amended so that all K-12 schools are now closed through May 1, 2020.
- State of Ohio Public Order Stay at Home Public Order is in effect through April 6. 2020. This order is being reviewed to determine if it will be extended.
- State of Ohio Department of Health amended its Public Health Order to Limit and/or Prohibit Mass Gatherings is still in effect until further notice or rescinded.
- U.S. Soccer has suspended all activities through April 30, 2020.
- USYS has now amended its original date of April 15 and suspended all activities through April 30, 2020 with a provisional ‘Return to Play’ date of May 1, 2020.
The following emails were sent to all membership (leagues, clubs, coaches, parents, etc.) in March, 2020.
COVID 3.12 ALERT | COVID 3.18 UPDATE: Q&A | COVID 3.18 UPDATE: ODH
OSYSA Office Status | COVID 3.24 UPDATE | USYS Update 3.31
COVID 4.1 UPDATE