Effective immediately, and in accordance to Senate Bill 252, all members must follow and adhere to the Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Youth Athletes Law (Lindsay’s Law).
For Frequently Asked Questions and Answers, click here. (updated September 2017)
What is Sudden Cardiac Arrest?
A Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) occurs when the heart suddenly and unexpectedly stops beating, cutting off blood flow to the brain and other vital organs. Sudden cardiac arrest is fatal if not treated immediately, most often by a defibrillator.
Lindsay’s Law, Ohio Revised Code 3313.5310, 3707.58 and 3707.59 went into effect on August 1, 2017. In accordance with this law, the Ohio Department of Health, the Ohio Department of Education, the Ohio High School Athletic Association, the Ohio Chapter of the American College of Cardiology and other stakeholders jointly developed guidelines and other relevant materials to inform and educate students and youth athletes participating in or desiring to participate in an athletic activity, their parents, and their coaches about the nature and warning signs of sudden cardiac arrest.
The following resources were developed to assist with the compliance of Lindsay’s Law:
Ohio South is aware that many teams are in the process of registering for competition, or have already been activated and approved to play. At this time leagues, clubs and tournaments must have their members/participants do the following:
- Watch Required Video
- Download and/or be handed the SCA Informational Handout
- Sign the Required Signature Form
- Sign the same Required Signature Form that your parent/guardian has signed
- Watch the Required Coach Video
- Download and/or be handed the SCA Information Handout specifically for coaches
- Collect the signed Parent/Athlete Signature Forms and have on file for Leagues and Tournaments
Playing League’s Responsibility
- Collect the signed Parent/Athlete Signature Forms and have on file
Sanctioned Tournament Responsibility
- Verify participating teams have Signature Forms and have on file (Out of state teams also need to be in compliance).
Lindsay’s Law is on the agenda for OSYSA’s next Board meeting. Further updates will be provided at that time.
In the future, we expect to have this requirement incorporated into the player registration process. For this seasonal year (August 1, 2017 – July 31, 2018), signed paper copies or copies with e-signatures must be used until further notice.